Azure Emulator Hangs and then CacheInstaller.exe crashes.

I just through I would share this error here since I did not find any answer online about how to fix it.

A little back story: I was working on some development for my day job using Visual Studio 2013 using the Azure 2.2 SDK. I have been actively developing on this project for about two months and all of a sudden I could not run the application anymore. The Compute Emulator was hanging and not starting, I would also get a message dialog that stated
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio
Role instances are taking longer than expected to start. Do you want to continue waiting?.

There was a lot of different errors being thrown in the logs and the CacheInstaller.exe process would eventually crash
one of the errors close to the start of the log was

Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.AzureServerCommon.CacheInstallationException: Install Manifests : Script completed with error: ExitCode: 2
ErrorStream: An internal error occurred.
An internal error occurred.
ERROR: wevtutil.exe im Microsoft.ApplicationServer.EventDefinitions.man failed with error 1359

The error code is just a generic uncaught exception and was not much help. The only results for that error was related to having a version conflict with Microsoft App Fabric which I have never installed on my PC. I spent some time trying to figure out what was going on; re-installing everything I could think of(Azure SDK and VS 2013) and clearing various caches and Azure storage locations. Unfortunately nothing I did would make it work. I knew the build itself was good because the other developers in my group were able to run the build successfully and I was unable to find anything based on the error message online.

Digging a little deeper into where the error occured wevtutil.exe is a process that helps publish manifest files for event publishing. while looking into that I noticed the next entry in the log was

Info: Successfully installed performance counters in C:\{Path To my Azure Project}\csx\Debug\roles\{app_name}\plugins\Caching\Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.PerformanceCounter.man

So I looked into what the performance counters were reporting to see if it gave me any information. It turns out I could not run the performance counter in Computer Management>Performance and figured out that somehow the performance counter system in my computer was corrupt. It is easy to test by going to an administrative command prompt and typing “typeperf -qx” it should list all the performance counters available on you PC. The only solution to this problem I found online was to run a system repair to fix the curruption. After doing that I was able to run the Azure SDK without issue.

Welcome to my blog

Hello, welcome to my blog. This is going to be a place were I post everything from .NET, JavaScript, and general web programming. I also plan to post stuff related to my favorite vacation spot Walt Disney World.